The First Minute
How to start conversations that get results
My multiple award-winning book is a step-by-step guide for clear, concise communication in everyday work conversations.
Being concise is not about trying to condense all the information into 60 seconds. It’s about having clear intent, talking about one topic at a time, and focusing on solutions instead of dwelling on problems.
Throughout this book you’ll discover how to:
- Have shorter, better work conversations and meetings
- Get to the point faster without rambling or going off on tangents
- Lead your audience toward the solution you need
- Apply one technique to almost every discussion, email, presentation and interview with great results
The secret to straightforward communication at work
- Do you want fewer frustrating emails at work?
- Would you like replies that actually answer your questions?
- How about getting your team to send shorter, clearer messages?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, this book is for you (and your team).
Effective Emails is a straightforward guide to removing the pain from writing and receiving emails at work. It’s the communication skills class we needed at school but didn’t get.
The First Minute Workbook
Practice your new skills at work
Whether you are heading towards senior leadership, are in the middle of your career, or are a recent graduate, this workbook will help you build the critical skill of clear and concise work communication.
Practice and master The First Minute communication methods using real examples from your own work.
The short activities in this workbook will help you to:
- Make your emails shorter and clearer
- Quickly identify the right things to focus on
- Create valuable status updates that people want to listen to
- Kick-start more productive meetings with informative invites
- Escalate issues quickly and clearly with a repeatable format
- Practice at your own pace with activities and templates
The First Minute Interview Answer Workbook
Increase your chances of getting that job
This instructional guide and workbook shows you the step by step process for creating clear, concise answers to tough interview questions.
The guidance and activities in this book will improve the quality of your interview answers.
- Section 1 of this workbook covers the theory behind creating great interview answers. Examples are given to demonstrate the methods
- Section 2 provides activities and exercises for identifying the topics and problems you can use as examples in your interview. Activities then guide you through the creation of examples and answers you can use in your next interview
The result will be shorter, more organized examples that you can take with you to your next interview.
Communication is listed as a top-five skill for almost all companies. There is no better time to show you have clear and concise communication than when answering interview questions.